Monday, May 6, 2013

Orchestra in Middle School

Today I was an Orchestra teacher.  You have heard plenty about my previous forrays into Middle School and their less than stellar results.  Today was different.  These kids really enjoyed playing in the orchestra and were excited about the songs they have been learning. When a song didn't go well they insisted on doing it again so I wouldn't think that's how they really sounded.  It was actually pretty cute.  

I was a little nervous about this for a few reasons. For one, Middle School!  Secondly, I am not musical and don't know anything about tuning or notes or anything.  Mostly, I was afraid of listening to poorly played orchestra music that I don't much enjoy when it is professional.

I was surprised to hear how well they played their pieces and how much I really enjoyed hearing it.  They mostly sounded fantastic, and insisted on stopping and restarting when they didn't.

3 comments:

  1. At least you get to hear something. Whenever I subbed for band, it was always a "watch the video and take notes" kind of day..

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I hope to have well behaved students this year as it will be my first year substitute teaching. I would especially love to teach a well-behaved music class. I look forward to reading more of your posts this upcoming school year.

    -Shyonna
    www.shyonnasays.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have surely had some less than well behaved music classes, and those watch the video days. I had to watch one video about composers 6 times in one day. At the end of the day I couldn't have answered any of the questions on their notes sheets! Total ZONE OUT! I guess I am a bad example!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete