Friday, April 19, 2013

Middle School

You haven't heard much from me lately.  I have been subbing in Middle School quite a bit.  My mom taught me that if I don't have anything nice to say, I shouldn't say anything at all!  So I have been quiet!

I don't know what happens when kids hit middle school that makes them.....not so nice, but I haven't been having a lot of luck lately.  I think I am going to take a little Middle School break.

Mysterious Middle School Mind
I have learned a few things though.  When a teacher's subject is listed on the registration software, you should double check it on the school website.  There are certain jobs I don't feel comfortable subbing for, and apparently I am not the only one, because a district I work for hides those class titles.  Instead of "Shop" or "Industrial Arts"  they just say "Art".  And then you walk into a room where 13 year olds are using band saws and drill presses.  I know how to use power tools, but I am NOT comfortable allowing kids to use them in my presence.  I will not be responsible for the loss of limbs.

I have also realized that certain MS teachers have jobs listed quite often and even though subbing is SUPER competitive around here, these jobs stay up for hours, sometimes even days, when most jobs are gone the minute they are posted.  I have snagged a few and am learning which ones to avoid!  I guess that is why this district, which I just got on with, added a bunch of new subs.

No comments:

Post a Comment