Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Interesting ways to take roll....

I hate taking roll. It's super important for us, but the kids see no value in it and even the best classes can't stay quiet and attentive the entire time.  Their only bright spot is getting to take it to the office.  Hopefully I see that kid again.  I haven't on a few occasions in the upper grades.

I was reading the blog "Dr. Jean & Friends".  She has some great ideas for ECE and Kindergarten teachers, which is what I have been doing the last few months.  One of her posts sparked a great idea for subs. 

Give students a question and have them answer instead of saying "Here" or "Present".   Here are her suggestions, which could be altered for older kids but they would probably like to answer these questions as well. 

Here are a few starters:
If you were an animal, what would you be?
If you found a genie in a bottle, what would you wish for?
If you were a candy bar, what would you be?
What is the theme song for your life?
What book character would you like to change places with?
If you found $100, what would you buy?
If you could go on a magic carpet ride, where would you go?
Happiness is…
If I were the teacher I would…


Younger kids will probably give you one or two word answers, but you might want to limit it for the older ones. Maybe three words or less.

No comments:

Post a Comment