Sunday, May 20, 2012

Getting Close to the End of the Year!

It's getting so close to the end of the school year.  On one hand, yeah summer!  On the other hand, where's the money coming from?  I've been applying for jobs like a mad woman.  How did I get myself into an industry that only hires during one small window a year? 

There is a BIGGER problem with the end of the school year though.  Behavior!  This is my first year or subbing, but I have been working in schools for 16 years now.  I know what the end of the year is like.  Teachers and kids alike have had enough.  The last days are filled with state tests, end of the year assessments for portfolios, finishing up big projects, and high tension on both sides.  Especially if the sun is shinning.  Kids just want to be outside, while teachers have so much to get done in order to call it a successful school year. 

Kids have high energy from the excitement of summer, which they don't realize will wear off after a week or so when they get bored and don't have their friends around them everyday.  But that high energy, times 27, bottled up in a stuffy classroom, is a recipe for disaster.  Even the best behaved kids have bad days at the end of the year. 

Picture this.....  It's a Hot Friday.  There are two weeks of school left.  There are about a million things to get done today.  Your class is already sort of out of control. (Sort of is being Kind.) 

Hey, I'd call in a sub too!

Wow!  Friday was a wild day for me.  The morning started off well.  But PE didn't go great, and honestly, it was all down hill from there.  I had Students fighting, verbally and physically.  Most students were just ignoring me altogether.  Only about half the class did the work that I assigned.  The work that the teacher wrote in her sub notes, MUST GET DONE TODAY!

I don't feel like a good sub on days like Friday.  But I just keep reminding myself that, "It is almost the end of the school year."  "You know this is a tough time for everyone."   It makes me feel a little better, but it didn't stop me from having a nightmare about getting a regular job in this classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment